Florida Vacation Information:
Nicknamed the "Sunshine State", Florida is located in the southern region of the USA. With a population estimated at 18.5 million people, Florida is the fourth most populated state in the country.
Tourism is the largest contributor to the state’s economy, good sunny weather in many parts of Florida and 60 miles of beaches attract as much as sixty million visitors each year. Florida offers amusement parks for family vacations, specifically to the Orlando area where the Disney World Resort is located. Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, are all popular destinations in the state of Florida.
Florida is home to many professional sports team in several North American leagues. Popular is the Miami Heat from the NBA (National Basketball Association), the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning of the NHL (National Hockey League), the Florida Marlins and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball teams of the MLB, the Miami Dolphins Jacksonville Jaguars and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers football teams of the NFL, many tourists take advantage of their visit to attend and watch some of the local professional sports teams.
- Capital: Tallahassee
- Currency: American Dollar
- Language: English and Spanish
- Area: 65,795 square miles - Ranked 22nd in the USA
- Population: 18,328,340 - Ranked 4th in the USA
- Time Zone: Eastern: UTC -5 / DST -4
- Abbreviations: FL Fla. US-FL
- Website: http://www.myflorida.com
- Electricity: 110-120 volts AC
- Emergencies: Dial 911 from any phone
- Taxes: Taxes on Hotel bill are at least 9%, there is also a hefty tax on rental cars.
- Tipping: Hotel employees tip at least $1 to $2. Restaurants, bars, and nightclubs tip
the stuff 15% to 20% of the check.
- Weather: Hurricane season starts on June through November.
- Tourist Season: December through April
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada: Travel Report of Florida