Panama Vacation Information:
Panama is the southernmost country of Central America. Panama’s capital is Panama City and the largest city in the country. Panama's population is estimated at 3.4 million people.
Tourism in Panama has shown growth in recent years, the number of visitors between January and September 2008 was 1.1 million a significant increase from 982,640 at the same time the previous year. Panama attractions are diverse, beach, historic ruins, modern city and mountain all in one. Panama is mostly known for the Panama Canal, Panama Viejo, Casco Antiguo and the forest that surrounds the area.
There are number of other places where to go in Panama, Bocas del Toro Province located on the north western coast of Panama near the Bay of Chiriqui; San Blas popular among adventure seekers, and history lovers; Cocle Province an agricultural area, but quickly developing into a touristic attraction; Veraguas Province located in central Panama and is the only province with access to both Caribbean and Pacific coasts; Chiriqui Province, an undiscovered area that is full of wildlife, adventure and exotic cultures; Colon Province with a colourful history having been visited by the Spanish then the pirates, and the gold rushers from the United States.
A summary of the best beaches include: Comarca Kuna Yala, the premier beach destination in Panama; Isla Bastimientos National Park in Bocas del Toro; Playa Los Destiladores and Playa Venado in the Azuero Peninsula these are the most cleanest and more attractive; Santa Clara & Farallon located on the Pacific coast, these are the most appealing and best for swimming.
Panama Year Round Temperatures
- Capital: Panama City
- Currency: US dollar and the Balboa
- Driver's License: International license recommended, foreign driver's licenses are
valid for up to 90 days. Must be 25 years old and have a credit card.
- Electricity: 120 V, 60Hz
- Entry Requirements: A passport, valid 6 months beyond intended stay, and an ongoing
or return ticket are required. Also a Tourist Cards, issued by your airline, is required and
is valid for up to 30 days.
- GMT Time: -5 hr. Daylight savings time is not applied.
- Government: Constitutional Democracy
- Land size: 75,990 km2
- Language: Spanish, English is spoken fluently
- National Airlines: Copa Airlines
- Population: 2,839,177 approx
- Religion: Roman Catholic 85%, Protestant 10%, other 1%
- Requirred Vaccines: none
- Tourist Season: December to April
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada: Travel Report of Panama