Mexico Vacation Information:
The United Mexican States, mostly known as Mexico is located in the North American continent. Mexico borders with the USA in the north and with Guatemala and Belize in the south and the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Mexico is the fifth largest country in the American continent. On July 2009 the Mexican population was estimated at 111.3 million people.
Mexico is comprised of 33 states and one Federal District, the capital city Mexico City. The country is rich of history and culture as well as arts, traditions and beautiful geography that many visitors enjoy when they visit yearly.
Mexico existed many centuries ago as home to the Mayans, Olmec, Toltec, Teotihuacan and the Aztec cultures that matured into advanced civilizations. Just like many other civilizations in the American continent the people that lived in Mexico were conquered by the Spaniards that arrived in 1521 and colonized the territory.
Mexico's economy is among the top 15 in the world, and was favoured by the North American Trade Agreement signed with the USA and Canada.
Mexico is also know internationally for its production of Tequila its national drink, the famous Mexican cuisine, the mariachis and the many touristic resorts and beaches we have all heard at one point in our lifetime.
- Population: 109.9 million
- Capital: Mexico City
- Area: 1.96 million sq km
- Language: Spanish
- Ethnic groups: Mestizo (60%) - Amerindian (30%) - White (9%) - Other (1%)
- Government type: Federal Republic
- Independence: September 16, 1810
- Major religion: Roman Catholic (89%)
- Monetary unit: 1 peso = 100 centavos
- Main exports: Machinery and transport equipment, mineral fuels and lubricants,
food and live animals.(1%)
- GNI per capita:: US $7,310 (World Bank, 2006)
- Internet domain: .mx
- International dialling code:: +52
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada: Travel Report of Mexico