Guadeloupe Vacation Information:
Guadeloupe is a group of islands located in the eastern Caribbean Sea. Guadeloupe is a French territory in the Caribbean and as such part of the European Union. The island has sandy beaches and is full of beautiful scenery. Accommodation in Guadeloupe is not as luxurious as the rest of the Caribbean, but still, some large world class beachfront properties can be found.
The same as most of the Caribbean nations, Guadeloupe depends on tourism to fuel their economy, and also depends on France to supply them with some basic needs. Most of the visitors to Guadeloupe come from France and the rest from other countries in Europe, and a small number from the USA, Canada and South America.
Tourists land at Pointe-a-Pitre International Airport, Pointe-a-Pitre is also the island`s largest city and the heart of economic activity with a population estimated at 171,773 people.
When visiting Guadeloupe, do not forget to attend a performance of Ballets Guadeloupeans, great folkloric Guadeloupan dancers. Two casinos are available for your enjoyment, Casino Gosier-les-Bains the larger of the two casinos, and Casino de St. Francois. Enjoy a night out at Zoo Rock Cafe or show off your dance moves at Lollapalooza featuring Cuban salsa and Latin dancing.
Guadeloupe Year Round Temperatures
- Capital: Basse-Terre
- Currency: Euro
- Driver's License: If you are renting for less than 20 days, a valid driver's license is
accepted. But for longer rental period an international driver's license is required.
- Electricity: 220 V, 50Hz
- Entry Requirements: A valid passport and an ongoing or return ticket.
- GMT Time: -4hr. Daylight savings time is not applied.
- Government: Overseas department of France
- Land size: 1,702 km2
- Language: French, Creole
- National Airlines: Air Caraibes
- Population: 448,700 approx
- Religion: 95% Roman Catholic
- Requirred Vaccines: None
- Tourist Season: December through April
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada: Travel Report of Guadeloupe